First of all, it is important to point out what exactly the Global Entry is, and namely – it represents a certain immigration program of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service (BPS), which allows all pre-approved and low-risk international frequent travelers, as wells as exchange visitors to receive clearance, valid for 5 years, upon arrival into the federal republic through automatic kiosks at 42 U.S. airports. Its main aim is giving the travelers the opportunity to avoid the long-formed queues, annoying paperwork and extra hassle, and in that way – to let them pass through customs and head off to their destinations much faster than usual.
Can anyone and everyone get a Global Entry Card?
Unfortunately, the answer is “NO”.
Only the following groups of people are allowed to apply for it:
- adults (individuals under 18 must have parental approval in order to get Global Entry Pass);
- S. citizens;
- lawful permanent residents;
- Dutch citizens;
- South Korean citizens;
- Mexican nationals;
- Canadian citizens and residents;
Wonder how to get your own Global Entry Card?
Provided that you belong to one of the categories mentioned above, here is what you have to do next:
- As a start, complete the online application form and pay the concomitant application fee. Acceptable forms of payment are credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover), money order or simply a certified check. Cash and personal checks are not accepted. As for the price – the privilege of possessing this card will cost you round about $100. But be careful because the following fee is non-refundable!
The whole application process takes not more than 10-15 minutes and you should receive an email confirmation shortly after sending it.
- Set a date for an interview. In the framework of 1 to 10 days you are expected to receive a second email that informs you that you are approved. You must then log into your GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) account and select an appointment time at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers at your choice.
Find out more about global entry application process here: https://goo.gl/RP3EU9
- Note: You have only 30-day grace period to fulfill Step 2!
- You will receive your Global Entry Card by mail within approximately two weeks after the interview;
So far, so good, but… How to use your Global Entry Card now?
Once the particular program member arrives at an airport, he is required to go to one of the well-marked local Entry kiosks, to insert his passport or U.S. permanent resident card inside, to place his fingerprints on the scanner for fingerprint verification afterwards and then to complete a customs declaration. The kiosk itself provides the traveler a transaction receipt and directs him right to baggage claim, respectively, to the exit.